Make Sure Your Furry Friend Doesn’t Dine Out On Toxic Mushrooms

Poorly Pug Dave recovering at Spinney Lodge Veterinary hospital after scoffing toxic mushrooms

We’re urging all pet owners to be aware of the dangers of toxic mushrooms which are popping up in gardens and green spaces at this time of year.

We recently dealt with a poisoning case which was brought in to our Kettering Road hospital.

One-year-old Pug, Dave, was rushed to Spinney Vets after snaffling toxic mushrooms in his owner’s garden.

Our practice manager Laura Fletcher said: “These mushrooms, called genus Inocybe, are very prevalent at this time of year but are toxic to both humans and animals.

“Dave had eaten some and was vomiting, had diarrhoea, was wobbly and couldn’t walk in a straight line.

“We immediately admitted him into hospital and made him sick in a bid to empty the offending mushrooms from his stomach.

“He was then put on fluids to help his body cope with the toxins and was given activated charcoal to help line his guts and stop his body absorbing any more of the harmful mushroom toxins.

“This was all supplemented with antibiotics and medications to protect his gut from further damage.

“Dave was very poorly and was with us for a few days but, thankfully, by the end of the week he had finally improved enough to go home.”

Dave’s relieved owner Veena McDonald said: “This was a very scary episode and we are so relieved that, thanks to Spinney Vets, Dave has recovered so well.

“I never knew these mushrooms were poisonous and I never imagined Dave might eat them if they appeared, so this all came as a big shock.

“I just hope his unhappy experience can now serve as a warning to all other pet owners to beware of these toxic mushrooms.”

To keep up to date with everything going on at Spinney vets, search for us on Facebook.